Womenz Magazine

Devastating Baltimore Mass Shooting Claims 2 Lives and Leaves 30 Injured

Baltimore Mass Shooting

A tragic incident unfolded early Sunday in Baltimore, where a mass shooting shattered the atmosphere of a lively neighborhood block party, transforming it into what witnesses described as a “war zone.” The devastating incident resulted in at least 30 people being injured, with two individuals tragically losing their lives.

Authorities confirmed that an 18-year-old girl, identified as Aaliyah Gonzales, was found deceased at the scene due to a gunshot wound. Additionally, a 20-year-old man, identified as Kylis Fagbemi, was transported to a hospital but succumbed to his injuries. Among the injured, three individuals were reported to be in critical condition.

During a press conference, Baltimore Police Commissioner Richard Worley revealed that all the victims had suffered from gunshot wounds. The range of ages among the victims was extensive, with the youngest being 13 and the oldest being 32. Distressingly, a significant portion of the victims—approximately 14—were under the age of 18.

The victims comprised girls aged 13, 14, and 15, along with 16- and 17-year-olds, as well as women aged 18, 19, 20, 23, and 32. Additionally, boys aged 13 and 15 were among those injured, alongside 16- and 17-year-olds, and men aged 18, 22, and 31, as reported by the Baltimore police.

This heartbreaking incident has left a community in mourning, emphasizing the urgent need for measures to address and prevent such acts of violence.

“It was a war zone. It was definitively a warzone,” one witness, who only wanted to be identified by her initials L.N. because she feels unsafe in Baltimore, told ABC News.

The mass shooting unfolded around 12:30 a.m. in the Brooklyn Homes neighborhood in the southern district of the city. Worley said police officers rushed to the scene when numerous 911 callers reported shots being fired.

Worley said the barrage of gunfire broke out during a large block party at a housing development in the 800 block of Gretna Court. The event was not permitted, he later told the media.

“When officers got here, we located multiple victims suffering from gunshot wounds,” Worley said.

Worley said authorities are looking for multiple suspects.

At press time, no suspects had been arrested in the violence Baltimore Mayor Brandon Scott described as “a reckless, cowardly act.”

“This morning, all of Baltimore is grieving the lives that were lost here, and our hearts are with those who are recovering as a result of this mass shooting,” Scott said at a news conference near the crime scene. “We will not stop until we find those cowards who decided to just shoot dozens of people, causing people to lose their lives.”

As investigators delve into the tragic incident, Police Commissioner Richard Worley stated that they are meticulously reviewing security footage in their efforts to identify the suspects involved. Additionally, the motive behind the shooting is still under investigation, and authorities are actively working to uncover the reasons behind this senseless act of violence.

Directing his comments to the assailants, Scott said, “I want those responsible to hear me clearly, we will not stop until we find you. And, we will find you.”

“Until then, I hope that with every single breath you take, you think about the lives that you took and you think about the lives that you impacted here tonight.”

Both the mayor and Worley asked for the community’s help in finding the perpetrators.

“If you saw anything or know anything, please call 911,” Worley said.

Scott added, “Treat this as if it were your family, how you would want to be treated if you were mourning, if this was your neighborhood, if this was an event in your community.”

The names of the slain victims were not immediately identified.

The witness, L.N., told ABC News that she was leaving the annual “Brooklyn Day” neighborhood block party and as she was walking to her car, she heard what she immediately recognized as gunfire.

“I mean, it was it was loud,” said L.N. “It was messy, all these people were running around the building running everywhere. It was just … oh my god, all these young people running.”

L.N. said two young women who had been shot approached her and asked for help. She said she put both shooting victims in her car and drove to MedStar Harbor Hospital, running red lights along the way. She said one of the wounded women in her car “kept screaming every time I hit a bump.”

“I wanted them babies to be OK. They are babies. These are young people, very young people, that were out there,” L.N. said.

Worley said nine people, including the young man who died, were taken to area hospitals by ambulance. Additionally, 20 other victims walked into hospital emergency rooms throughout the region seeking treatment for gunshot wounds, he said.

At Sunday afternoon’s update, Worley said all but nine of the victims who went to area hospitals had been released, with a few remaining in critical condition.

“This is an extensive crime scene,” Worley said. “Our detectives will be here quite a while.”

Maryland Gov. Wes Moore released a statement Sunday, condemning “yet another mass shooting (to) strike our community where a celebratory gathering turned deadly.”

“Maryland has had enough of watching gun violence continue to ravage our state and our nation,” Moore said. “The fact that these horrific shootings continue to take place is abominable. We as a state will continue to do everything we can to prevent senseless acts of violence like the one we saw last night.”

Related posts

Trump Vindicated After Judge Ruled MI Secretary of State Broke the Law on Absentee Order

Alex Williams

Devastated parents who watched tragic girl, 7, die at school suing for damages

Alex Williams

US House passes police reforms, voting rights bill

Alex Williams