Protein and vitamin rich, low in fat, fresh fruits and vegetables are considered to be the best healthy foods. Yet, nothing is perfect in this world. Fresh fruits and vegetables can make you sick, or even kill you, because they might be contaminated. But you do not need to be afraid; you only need to be aware of which kind of healthy food can harm you and be careful while adding them into your diet.
Food that makes you sick, which is otherwise healthy food, is most often served raw. The notion is that the bacteria and parasites that cause illness are usually destroyed during cooking the process, but remain on fresh fruits, vegetables and other raw foods, and can be ingested.
Food that makes you sick can cause food-poisoning which is horrible and can be a life-threatening experience. But it is hard to determine what is safe to eat, because in many cases it depends on individuals. Food allergies are too common as 80% people have food sensitivities or intolerances. So, knowing which healthy food is potentially risky can help. But you cannot avoid these foods because they’re part of a healthy diet.
Here is a potential list of foods that make you sick:
1. Eggs: Eggs are the most favorite breakfast and considered healthy food, yet it causes outbreaks, often due to the Salmonella bacteria which can lurk inside the egg. So, the eggs must be fully cooked and must not be eaten raw.
2. Tuna: Tuna fish contains high amounts of Omega-3 fatty acids which are essential for human body. But it can be contaminated by scombrotoxin which causes food poisoning, headaches and cramps.
3. Oysters: Oysters can be contaminated if the water they filter is contaminated or during handling. If served undercooked or raw oysters may contain norovirus-germ and Vibrio-bacterium, which causes nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.
4. Cheese: Cheese is considered to be healthy food, yet it can be contaminated with bacteria like Salmonella or Listeria, which may cause miscarriage.
5. Ice-Cream: Food that makes you sick could be Ice-cream, it may be contaminated due to handling or raw eggs and even if it is not pasteurized.
6. Berries: Strawberries, raspberries and blackberries are favorite juicy fruits and considered healthy food yet a common source of food poisoning, because they’re grown on ground and have the potential of containing parasites and viruses.
7. Tomatoes: Tomatoes may be contaminated when you bring them home, but washing properly and storing separately you can avoid bacteria growth.
8. Melons: Melon is a healthy food, but its flesh is often contaminated with bacteria as they grow on ground.
9. Lettuce: Lettuce is considered healthy food and is a-must-have in salads, but it may contain sickening bacteria if not handled and stored properly. Other leafy-green vegetables are also contaminated due to manure, dirty water rinse, unwashed hands.
10. Cabbage: Cabbage heads grow close to the ground and have the potential of harboring bacteria. By removing the outer leafs and washing it thoroughly can prevent you from illness.
11. Fresh Juices: Fresh squeezed juice is always considered as a best healthy food but it may contain microbes that cause illness, which the fruit picked up due to contact with animal feces. Packed fruit juices are rather free from bacteria as they have been through pasteurization process of destroying bacteria.
12. Chicken/Beef/Turkey: Chicken, ground beef and ground turkey has the potential to be loaded with E. coli bacteria.
Cross-contamination can be the source of problem, so proper handling of healthy food in your kitchen is vital. Food that makes you sick because of contamination, such as meat, can transfer germs to other foods as well.