- Yield: Serves 6. Each serving: 1 cup
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 8 ounces extra lean ground beef
- 1 cup lentils
- 1/2 cup pearled barley
- 3 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 15 ounce can diced tomatoes, no added salt
- 6 cups water
- 6 tsp low-sodium beef bouillon
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp oregano
- Heat a large pan over medium-high heat. Add the oil and saute the onions and beef until browned, about 5 minutes.
- Drain off the excess fat. Add the rest of the ingredients. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Cook for 45 minutes. Serve hot.
- Total Preparation & Cooking Time: 55 min. (5 Prep, 50 Cook)