If you are new at some office or even if you have been working there for years, you often need some guidelines and a reality check when it comes to the office workplace relationships. These relationships are not just about finding a partner to fall in love with, but you can make the best of friends in an office environment too.
It is a complete myth that one cannot be best friends with the people who work at the same place as you do. It is true that you mostly need to keep a highly professional outlook to yourself but there is no harm in reaching out and making friends. After all, it is these people that you spend most of your day with and at times, you have to hang out and party with them too. Here are some tips for you to follow in order to maintain healthy and cordial office workplace relationships with those who surround you half the day.
1) Respect The Key Factor: It is highly important that you respect each and every one when it comes to office workplace relationships. You just cannot forget the fact that every single worker has some dignity and is there for some kind of designated job. You need to make sure that you respect their ideas, work and point of view (even if you disagree). Degrading anyone at work, regardless of his/her designation will only make you a bad human, let alone put your job at stake as well.
2) Do Not Be a Nagger: Good office workplace relationships highly rest on the fact that you are not nagging someone. If you constantly tell people what to do and what not to then there is not even the slightest chance that you will be able to make even an acquaintance at the office. People will automatically try and get away from your presence. Always try to encourage your fellows and give them honest opinions which are not mean. You can even help them if you think they need it. Being mean will not help anyway, so might as well be good around those who are working with you. What say?
3) Avoid Gossip: There is no better tip for good office workplace relationships than avoiding all kinds of gossip. Do not listen to anything that is being said to you by your colleagues which sounds like gossip. This does not mean that you should shut your ears and stop listening to things which are being said about you. Be wise and handle situations wisely rather that openly confronting people. Stay away from evil talk and stick to your own work.
4) Value Time and Your Work: Do not focus so much on handling office workplace relations that you start effecting your work. Be responsible and do your work on time. Always keep in mind that time is money and people will also come to you if you are a good worker who is never late with his/her work. If you are unable to do your work, inform the designated person immediately as you would not want to put others in trouble because of your problems. Do you work in such a way that it impresses others regardless of what the work is.
5) Speak to Everyone: Talking to people around you in the office is very helpful. Try and make friends through that. Even if you do not quite like somebody, say hello to them every morning and bid them goodbye when you leave office. There is no need to be all quiet and sulky all the time. Remember, people always make friends with people who are willing so, be the willing one. This does not mean that you necessarily have to be over friendly with all the staff. Just be kind and friendly in a general sort of a way. Follow these amazing guidelines and you are sure to be on a fun ride with those who work with you at your office.