Whether you inherited it from your mother or losing weight has left you with a flat butt and tiny tush, you secretly may be hoping for a fuller, shapelier bottom. It’s time to step up your strength-training routine. Just like hiking and running hills, these 11 moves will build, sculpt, and lift your glutes in no time! And here are some beauty tips to help your toned tush look even smoother.
- Stand in front of your chair and place your left foot in the center of the seat.
- Step up onto the chair and bring your right knee forward and up.
- Lower yourself back to the floor, with the foot landing quietly.
- Switch legs and repeat to complete one rep. Do 20 reps total.
Maybe squats aren’t your favorite exercise, but they sure help to strengthen and tone your quads, hamstrings, glutes, and lower back. Using a set of dumbbells will not only strengthen your tush but your arms as well!
- Stand with your legs wide and your toes pointed outward slightly. Hold a pair of dumbbells in your hands with your arms straight and your palms facing down.
- Bend your knees until they are over your ankles while raising your arms to just below shoulder height. Your arms should be in line with your legs — you should see the weights in your peripheral vision.
- Straighten your legs and lower your arms simultaneously.
- Complete three sets of 15 reps.
This move is an oldie but a goodie when it comes to targeting your hamstrings, quads, and of course, your backside.
- Stand upright holding a pair of medium-weight dumbbells in each hand, arms at your sides, with your knees slightly bent.
- Keeping your arms straight and knees slightly bent, slowly bend at the hips (not your waist) and lower the weights as far as possible without rounding your back, which should remain straight.
- Now squeeze your glutes to slowly pull yourself up (don’t use your back).
- Do three sets of 15 reps.
New to this? Then use a lighter pair of dumbbells until you get stronger — you don’t want to strain your back. Already a pro? Then try doing it on just one leg.
- Stand upright, feet together, holding two dumbbells (five to 10 pounds) at your sides.
- Take a controlled step forward with your left leg, curling the dumbbells to your shoulders, keeping your elbows close to the body.
- Lower hips toward the floor and bend both knees (almost at 90-degree angles). The back knee should come close but never touch the ground. Your front knee should be directly over the ankle, and the back knee should be pointing down toward the floor.
- Push off with your right foot and bring it forward to starting position, lowering the dumbbells to your side. This completes one rep.
- Next, step forward and repeat with the right leg.
- Do three sets of 15 reps.
You can easily modify this move for beginners without weights, keeping your arms by your side.
Here’s a move that can help smooth out your saddlebags, also called your lower love handles. You’ll definitely feel this move burning both sides of your tush at the same time.
- Stand with your feet shoulder-width distance apart, feet parallel. Hold your hands out in front of you for balance. Bend your knees, lowering your hips deeply so your thighs are parallel with the floor, keeping your weight back in your heels.
- Then rise back up, straightening the legs completely and lifting the left leg out to the side, squeezing the outer glute.
- As you step the foot back into shoulder-width distance position, squat down again. Then stand up and do a side leg lift on the right side. Lower the leg back to the starting position.
- This counts as one rep. Do three sets of 15 reps on each side.