Brown spots, also referred to as age spots or solar lentigo are skin problems resulting due to excess exposure to the sun, causing the Melanocyte cells to turn to dark brown pigments called melanin. Age spots on face as well as hands occur when melanin turns the skin darker resulting in patches and dark circles. Age spots mostly occur in aging women, especially when they reach their forties. Young people can also experience the same at an early age. These spots are mostly light brown and sometimes dark brown or even red in color.
Age spots on face mostly occur in the form of freckles and pigmentation. The best way to avoid age spots is to have minimum sun exposure. If exposure is must, then apply a sun block 20 minutes before going out in the sun. Apart from laser treatments, dermatologists also suggest electrosurgery and cryotherapy as treatment for age spots. Although these procedures are very effective, they may have side effects as compared to cheap age spots home remedies. These natural treatments help bleach the color of the skin reducing the visibility of age spots.
Age Spots Home Remedies:
There are various treatments for age spots including laser treatments which are very effective but at the same time are very costly. Home remedies are a cheap alternative but require dedication and commitment before desirable results are produced. Below are some quick and easy age spots home remedies that can lead to glowing skin and are used widely in the treatment for age spots. They need to be followed regularly for at least 2 months before you start seeing visible difference.
- Lemon juice is the best skin whitener and when applied on age spots on the face or hands, it lightens and bleaches the spots to merge with the skin color.
- Aloe Vera is rich in vitamin E and should be regularly applied on the skin as it is useful in the treatment for age spots.
- Citrus helps in lightening skin colour. Take any fruit available which is high in citrus like lemon, orange, pineapple, tomato, red currant, etc and apply on the skin.
- Avoid sun exposure. If it is necessary to go in the sun use a UV protector.
- Make a mixture of saffron and honey and apply on age spots.
- Homemade masks are a good treatment for age spots. Mix together 1 teaspoon lemon juice, 1 egg white and 2 ground almonds. This is a very good treatment for age spots as well as freckles.
- For age spots on face mix parsley with equal amounts of red currant juice, lemon juice and orange juice. Apply on age spots.
- Sandal wood paste, mixed with saffron and honey is an excellent treatment for age spots.
- Licorice mixed with glycolic acid also works wonders for age spots.
- Apply butter milk or sour milk on age spots. The lactic acid is very good for brown spots removal. Butter milk can also be mixed with equal amounts of tomato juice for better effects.
- Equal parts of honey, yogurt and lemon juice once rubbed on the skin not only reduces the age spots, but it leaves the skin fresh and clean.
These natural treatments have no side effects and help in rejuvenating the skin and bringing back its original color and freshness.