- 8 small skinless (bone-in) chicken thigh cutlets (about 1kg)
- 1 tablespoon olive or canola oil
- 1-2 onions, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled, chopped
- 2 carrots, quartered lengthwise, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain rice
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 1/2 cups hot chicken stock (make with 3 teaspoons chicken stock powder)
- 2 cups chopped beans, courgettes, broccoli or other green vegetables
- paprika and extra cumin
Step 1 Set oven to 210°C, or 200°C (fan-bake), and select a baking or roasting pan just big enough to hold chicken pieces in one layer (about 24cm x 30cm). Pat chicken pieces dry, and brown both sides in oil in a large, preheated frying pan.
Step 2 Remove chicken and set aside. Place onions, garlic, carrots and rice in frying pan. Cook over a moderate heat until rice is milky-white. Stir in cumin and oregano, then cook for 1 more minute. Remove from heat.
Step 3 Add stock and season with salt (if desired), then pour rice mixture into prepared baking pan. Stir green vegetables into rice. Arrange chicken pieces on top, best side up.
Step 4 Sprinkle chicken with paprika and extra cumin. Bake uncovered for 40-50 minutes until rice is tender (with all the liquid absorbed) and chicken juices run clear when pierced to the bone. Serve immediately.
Note: If chicken pieces do not cover all the rice in your baking pan, place foil over uncovered rice (but not over chicken). – Healthyfood