Paulina Gretzky and Dustin Johnson made headlines Sunday, Aug. 18, when they shared the news of their engagement on Twitter. We’ve already seen the 24-year-old model’s seriously impressive engagement ring, but there’s a lot more to know about this blond beauty. Here’s the scoop on the bride-to-be.
1. She’s Hockey Royalty: Yep, Ms. Gretzky’s father, “The Great One” aka Wayne Gretzky, is arguably the best hockey player of all time. (Even Justin Bieber fan-boyed when he got to meet Mr. Gretzky for the first time in 2011!) But Paulina has never felt like she was living in the shadow of her father’s success, telling Complex, “My dad’s accomplishments are completely different than everything I’ve done with my life and the career path I want to take. What he’s done has only been inspirational for me.”
2. She’s Athletic, Too: The plethora of bikini pics on Instagram (and this WhoSay shot!) are enough to show that Paulina works out. In her younger years, though, she was quite the little sports star, telling Complex, “I played everything, even hockey, but once I turned 13 or 14 I developed a passion for dancing and singing.”
3. She’s a Singer: Paulina describes her music as “very pop mainstream,” explaining, “When I first started, I wanted this Avril Lavigne, Gwen Stefani rocker girl vibe, but then I grew up and changed. I have a very raspy voice. My inspiration has always been Stevie Nicks. Hopefully it won’t sound like what everybody else is doing right now, and hopefully people will see the uniqueness in my voice and fall in love with it.” Her single “Collecting Dust” was featured on MTV’s Laguna Beach in 2004.
4. She’s Also Done Some Acting: Although her main passion seems to be music, Paulina’s also showed up on the silver screen. She had bit roles in the 2009 reboot of Fame and 2011’s Girls, Guns and Gambling, and most recently, she played a coed in Grown Ups 2 alongside Taylor Lautner and Patrick Schwarzenegger.
5. She Was Old School About Dating: Obviously, Ms. Gretzky is now off the market, but when she was still looking for Mr. Right, she wanted to be properly pursued. “If a guy texts me instead of calling me, it’s done for me. It’s absolutely not gonna happen,” she told Complex. “I just can’t do texts. If you wanna ask me out, you’re gonna have to call me and ask me like a gentleman. You’re gonna have to be a man about it. There are so many things in this day and age that men don’t do anymore, and a simple phone call is not gonna kill you.”
“That’s one thing my mother always taught me: You don’t chase men,” she added. “They’re supposed to fight for you. They’re supposed to show you respect.” Wise words. And hey, that philosophy seems to have worked out for the future Mrs. Johnson!