Gado gado is a mouthwatering Indonesian Rice Salad made of jasmine rice and vegetables combination. For weight conscious people, this recipe makes a perfect meal.
- 1 1/3 cups uncooked jasmine rice
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 cup light coconut cream
- 1 stalk lemon grass (optional)
- 2 kaffir lime leaves
- 1/2 cup crunchy peanut butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground chilli (optional)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon kecap manis (sweet soy sauce)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon tamarind sauce (optional)
- 5 tablespoons water (or more)
- 2 cups green beans, cut in 1cm lengths
- 2 cups carrots, cut in thin strips
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 cup sliced cucumber
- 2 cups mung bean sprouts
Step 1 Wash rice in a colander. Place water, rice and coconut cream in a large saucepan. Bring to the boil.
Step 2 Bang lemon grass stalk (if using) with the back of a bread knife and add to boiling rice with lime leaves. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 15 minutes until rice is cooked. Remove lemon grass and lime leaves once cooked. Stir rice well to combine flavours.
Step 3 To make sauce, combine all sauce ingredients in a small pot and heat gently until warm and thickened. Add more water if mixture is too thick. Keep warm.
Step 4 To prepare vegetables, half fill a medium-sized pot with water. Bring to the boil. Blanch beans and carrots for 3 minutes, then run under cold water to stop cooking.
Step 5 Either arrange vegetables in layers on a platter – cabbage, green beans, carrots, cucumbers – or mix together and place on a platter. Top with sprouts. Serve vegetables and peanut sauce on coconut rice.