Mashed Potatoes with Cheddar and Chives Recipe
- 4 lb baking potatoes, peeled and cut in 2-in. chunks
- 11⁄4 cups (5 oz) shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh chives
- 1⁄2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1⁄3 cup 1⁄3-less-fat cream cheese
- 3 Tbsp stick butter
- 11⁄2 tsp salt
- 1⁄4 tsp pepper
- Toppings: crumbled cooked bacon and shredded Cheddar cheese
1. Boil potatoes in a large pot in water to cover 25 minutes, or until tender when pierced.
2. Scoop off 1 cup cooking water, then drain.
3. Return potatoes to pot, add cooking water and remaining ingredients, except Toppings, and mash.
4. Spoon into serving bowl; add Toppings.Planning Tip: Can be prepared through Step 2 up to 1 day ahead; refrigerate. When reheating, stir in a little milk if potatoes seem stiff.
5. Spoon into serving dish (microwave-safe if reheating in microwave) and heat.