Try this fingers licking delicious Steak sandwich which is served with caramelised onion and mustard cream to make a great deal.
- cooking oil spray
- 2 medium brown onions, sliced
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra light sour cream (we used Weight Watchers)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 500g ‘minute’ steaks, trimmed
- 8 slices multigrain sourdough
- 2 cups lettuce leaves
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 cup canned beetroot slices, drained
Step 1 Spray a large frying pan with oil. Add onion and cook for 10–15 minutes over low heat, until very soft. Add 1 tablespoon water occasionally to prevent sticking. Stir in sugar and vinegar. Remove from heat and keep warm.
Step 2 Beat together sour cream and Dijon mustard in a small bowl. Set aside.
Step 3 Spray steaks with oil and season with ground black pepper. Cook over high heat for 1 minute each side, or until browned and just cooked. Remove from heat and rest for 2 minutes.
Step 4 Meanwhile, toast bread and place 4 pieces on plates. Top with lettuce, tomato, beetroot, caramelised onions and steaks. Spoon over mustard cream and top with remaining toast.